Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Night sky

I lied. My next poem's entitled "Night sky" because "Hesitating Beauty" decided it wants to be a short-short instead. go figure.
here ya go though, first daft, but I'll fix it up a bit and post it again--once I have a few people rip it to shreds

Night Sky

My heart is stuck
to the stars, as much as I pull
away and try to cut free,
it only damages me.
Nights spent in big cities,
buildings full of lights tower
above me. Flashing signs, glowing
bulbs sear their image in my eyes.
I feel a twinkle high above me tap
my heart and tug
at the arteries, but I can’t see
where it comes from.
Street lamps light up
the neighborhood, chase away
the darkness that lets pinpricks
shine, force their way
through the cloth.

Joe told me that it was a brave
hummingbird who rescued
everyone from a world of darkness.
The bears couldn’t rip holes
in the fabric, the coyotes tried
to tear it with their teeth. A tiny
bird, with vibrating wings poked
holes in the blackness
so we could lay on the tin roof, bundled
in sleeping bags and blankets to create
pictures of our own, in the stars blinking
above as they lowered an invisible thread,
tied a bowline around my heart, a string
strong enough to snap the scissors
of the three muses.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cool poem - I really liked the reference to the 3 muses and denying their control over our personal fate. (of course, I'm a sucker for any ancient history references) -JE (who really needs to get writing on his own sometime soon)

Krystal said...

y'know, I found out it was really the three fates. . .you would think with me working in a kids store, and watching that movie at least once a week I would know these things. . .but thanks anyway :)